1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What flooring to get??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hotelclepto, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Hotelclepto

Hotelclepto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Hi everyone. What would you recommend for the floor board of a chicken coop? I want the best non stick material. I plan on going to Home Depot and getting them to cut the size I need.
    Pt or FTP board ( cant remember the name off hand at te moment),fiber glass, glass board. Or any other material you feel would be good thats waterproof. Thanks a bunch

2. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
  3. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

We got a vinyl stick on floor for the coop an the poop washes right off

4. Hotelclepto

Jan 24, 2013
    Thanks so much y'all.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I don't think it matters if you using pine shavings on the floor. The liter absorbs the wetness before any gets to the floor.

I didn't design for a poop board under the roosts but those should be tiled or some other easy clean surface.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    I got a 6 x 8 roll of vinyl tile at Home Depot.

[​IMG]

I use construction sand on top of it. Used to have a poop board but I find it easier to scoop the sand.
    Put up frp ( that jakoda mentioned above) on the walls as it is easier to wipe down. These girls can sling poop where you would never think of.

[​IMG]

7. tish_matt

tish_matt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Mass.
    We use the workout room tiles, they are rubbery. Poop scrapes right off and it insulates the floor a bit.

8. Hotelclepto

Jan 24, 2013
    Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate all the advice. Will definitely tile the walls too. Lol at the poop slinging. Love the mural in the coop. Maybe ill get my daughter to paint something in ours.

9. jhammett

jhammett Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    ok I am new to chickens as well. I have converted a barn stall into a coop. the floor is el natural... Dirt. the walls are stall boards. Should I put a floor in it is a 9X12 floor. I have chciks that should hatch on the 25th then 5 to 8 weeks in the brooder so i have a couplpe months.... Ideas or thopughts?

10. Hotelclepto

Jan 24, 2013
    I don't rightly know but I would probably do it anyway just to be on the easier side for cleaning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by