What Flower Is This?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LisaJean, Nov 9, 2007.

1. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi folks!

I know we have some wildflower lovers on board here, so I was wondering if one of you could ID this one. It is blooming in a little patch of mixed wildflower seeds I planted in late Spring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Sorry I have no clue, but just wanted to say its REALLY pretty! Whatever it is, I'd love some of those around!

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    it reminds me of penstemon. maybe google scarlet wildflower and do an image search.

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

To me it looks like agastache - do the leaves smell minty?
    If so good hummingbird & drought tolerant perennial.

5. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I would say a sage. Pensetmons look similar, but the leaf and the flower bracts make me think sage. Agastache is also similar, but this looks more sagey to me. I've never seen one with such big flowers in the bright red though.

6. DrakeMaiden

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    It looks a lot like one of these .

7. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I'd say Penstemon also.

8. DrakeMaiden

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Leaf structure is more important than flower appearance when trying to id a plant. Based upon what I can see in the top photo, the leaves are more rounded or heart-shaped with serrated edges, yes? Penstemon have blade-like leaves. If I had a better look at the plant and leaf structure I could say if it were Agastache or Salvia. I still think Salvia.

9. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I decided to look up what seeds came in the mix I planted, and one of the ones listed is Scarlet Sage, Salvia coccinea.

The pictures I saw online look a lot like what I have.

It's a shame things were so dry here this summer. I got very few flowers out of my wildflower bed. Next spring I am going to do it right, till up a nice big patch, and then kill the weed seedlings, and sow the wildflower seeds after the weeds have died.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  10. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:Salvia coccinea is the flower in the picture above.

It's a shame things were so dry here this summer. I got very few flowers out of my wildflower bed. Next spring I am going to do it right, till up a nice big patch, and then kill the weed seedlings, and sow the wildflower seeds after the weeds have died.

Salvia coccinea is actually a good plant to grow in dry conditions. They reseed in my garden every year.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by