What flowers won't they eat?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MuranoFarms, May 14, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Maybe marigolds? I read somewhere that deer hate them, maybe chickens do too? We built the coop right behind a huge tree with a rock 'planter' at its base. Well....they've eaten everything that tried to come up from last year.

Any ideas?

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    they loved my marigolds. I would grab and occasional johnny jump up with the garden weeds to feed them, they never even tried them. I have no idea what chickens see. maybe purple is not all that visual to them.
    I know they used to feed marigold flowers to chickens to get darker yolks, but I do not know if they meant pot marigold (Calendula) or french marigolds.
    I would imagine the only safe flower is one hanging from a basket somewhere. or silk ones.
    Good luck in your quest!

3. cuckoo_orpington13

cuckoo_orpington13 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have dandelions in your yard, they may opt for that. My chickens love dandelion leaves and thrive on them.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Plastic ones.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] True though, chooks and flowers/gardens don't mix, at least if you want to keep the flowers and/or garden.

6. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I have flower gardens else were in the yard that they don't bother. It's just the one in front of the coop that they've wiped out! It looks like they're ignoring the ornamental ivy that's in there. Guess I'll just get more of that.

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens love chickweed!

8. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Mine LOVE marigolds. They work really hard on getting to mine and primroses, YUM!

They generally don't bug flowers that are over their heads, or dahlias.

9. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. chickenfreak

chickenfreak New Egg

May 15, 2010
    Kent, WA
    My girls eat anything and everything they can get ahold of. We are constantly trying to build better fencing for our veggie gardens and flower gardens. And if, for some reason they don't eat it, they scratch the heck out of it![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by