What food does NOT need grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dr.Doorlock, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    One thing I want to do to help prevent pecking is to give the girls some extra protein. It seems to me they could have some cottage cheese without causing any problems, but being a newbie (or as I like to say, a New Egg) leaves me with too little information. What other foods can they eat without having grit?
    They are staying in their cage still, but it meets the minimum requirements for space. They are moved from the garage to the back yard each day, so I still have to clean up behind them. Will soft foods make their mess smell more?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    As far as not needing grit...processed feeds...those that do not have whole or cracked grains...some call them mashes or crumbles

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Soft foods - mushy. Things that do not need to be ground in the gizzard.

4. Dr.Doorlock

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Quote:That's what I thought. Any danger of turning my garage into a waste hazard zone?

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have quite a few full grown bantams in my garage and as long as i use DE in with the straw and pine shavings its not too bad. I give mine scrambled eggs about twice a week, 3-4 times a week in the winter when its really cold outside. The poo is a bit more smelly when fed eggs, i can't deny that but the DE really helps keep the coop dry and the droppings too altho it will create more dust in their area.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Or you could just supply some grit and then feed whatever you want, right? [​IMG]

Pat

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    there is grit in crumbles, BTW..

at least there is in the type I buy..

If you want to check yours out take about a tablespoon full in a bowl of water and dissolve it.. now feel the bottom of the bowl,, there most likely will be some sand there..

8. Dr.Doorlock

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    They are young - six weeks and on medicated food. I just found out they really like cotage cheese.

What is DE?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by