What food should I feed them to make there eggs tougher?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by opps00, Apr 16, 2008.

1. opps00

opps00 New Egg

Apr 16, 2008
    What food should I feed them to make there eggs tougher? My eggs crack so easily. Thanks:D

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They need more calcium if their shells are thin. You can feed it free choice in the form of oyster shell. If you're feeding a layer feed, most of them contain calcium already.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I have been told you can buy oyster shells for them. I have also read on here that you can crush up egg shells and feed them that. Mine are not laying yet so I can only tell you what I have heard. Sorry! I would be willing to bet though that someone will post soon! Good luck. I am interested in the answer as well.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Get them some Oyster Shell from the feed store. You can also feed them their egg shells. I rinse them under warm/hot water then bake them at 250 degrees for about 20 - 30 minutes. Let them cool and crush them up so they don't resemble shells any longer.

We keep crushed shells available at all times so the girls can get the extra calcium when they need it.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

5. HR Patterson

HR Patterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Gravity, PA
    We have oyster shell out for our chickens all the time, mixed with baked, crushed egg shells. We are also putting apple cider vinegar in their water, yet we still have 2 hens (no idea which ones) that are laying very thin shelled eggs. Often, I collect one that is either crushed a little already or breaks in my hand, and there is evidence of another that has been eaten. I gather them 2-3 times a day so they're only left a few hours at most. Any ideas what else we can do?

Thanks.

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Are they getting enough sunshine?? They need their "D", too, to make good shells. You can supplement with crushed or ground Cal. Citrate with "D "added for a bit if there's not enough sun yet. . .

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  7. HR Patterson

Feb 10, 2008
    Gravity, PA
    Thanks. They get plenty of sunshine; they're outside all day.

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:How much apple cider vinegar do you put in the water?

9. HR Patterson

Feb 10, 2008
    Gravity, PA
    1 quart in 7 gals. of water.

10. bigdog

bigdog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I have an issue with my 2 young RIR laying eggs with shells so thin that they break as soon as you touch them or before. None of my other 10 hens seem to have this problem. I feed layer plus oyster shells. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by