What food treats do you use for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Litewings, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    This past weekend I went to the Poultry Show in Salisbury. (It was a great show.) I noticed that some of the bird owners were giving their chickens treats and the chickens seemed to love it. When the owners would reach into their pockets the birds would run up to the edge of the cage wanting to get the treat. Does anyone know what these treats probably were?

Litewings

[​IMG]

2. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Meal worms? I keep mine in a plastic container. When I crack open the lid the chickens come a runnin.

3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Mine get scratch for an extra treat. They really love mac and cheese! I feed them everything leftover on the kids plates! Its all treats to them!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I'm thinking they didn't have mealworms or mac and cheese in their pockets! [​IMG] , what a mess that would be!

My best guess would be tiny dog or cat treats, or even cat chow pieces. Maybe bits of corn. I had to laugh at the idea of a pocketful of mealworms! [​IMG]

5. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Thanks Guys
    Litewings

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Mine love sunflower seeds in the shells.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

It was probably just scratch grains. A lot of people will throw a little scratch grains in the cage at shows to "Perk Up" the birds so just before judging.

8. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mealworms, scratch grains, misc. whole grains, cereal... All possibilities.

9. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Bits of string cheese works for me! # 2 would be shelled sunflower seeds.

10. memahenny

memahenny Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Western South Carolina
    [​IMG] Hi everyone, how about bird seed, with sunflower seed and some other kind of little white seeds. I have those for the cardinals here at my feeders. I have heard chickens eat most anything, I am new to raising chickens and need to learn all I can

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by