1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what foods and when?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by leggomyegg0, Aug 18, 2011.

1. leggomyegg0

leggomyegg0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Robbins
    My question is what food is appropriate and at what age do you transition to another feed. So Chicks get starter crumbles... and then you switch to grower at what age? and then to layer, one presumes... Do you then switch to another when they are in molt and not laying? what about older retired/semi retired hens? and why is my rooster then one who loves oyster shells more than the rest, he's doesn't need it for making shells [​IMG]

Claudette

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    That is a good question. Mine are in molt so I switched from layer to developer feed. What is recommended?

3. leggomyegg0

leggomyegg0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Robbins
    No replies....REALLY? That's WEIRD... usually BYC is the place to go to for answers, from Angel wings to spraddle legs, I've found all kinds help of this forum, but simple nutrition question and no replies, what gives?
    [​IMG]

4. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    I had my girls on chick starter (medicated) up to about 12 weeks--and then switched to Purina Flock Raiser (non-medicated). Because I have 4 older laying hens (6 months) in same coop..So they eat same thing but also provide grit and oyster shell...once they younger ones hit laying stage I am switching completley over to Purina Layer Feed for all my girls. I did not want to switch all over yet--because too much calcium in feed for the younger girls to eat...Not sure if this helps or is right---but have friend that has raised chickens and birds for 20 years and this is what she has done and recommended...and is working out fine....Maybe someone will come along and comment with their ideas...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by