1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what foods ro avoid with giving Baytril ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ladyearth, Oct 22, 2016.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    is raw milk okay? while giving Baytril? any other foods to avoid or give.
    and probiotics wait till finished dosage?
    also asked on other thread....
    Baytril on an empty stomach?
    thanks all

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    -Kathy

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Baytril and other fluoroquinolone antibiotics are on the list of drugs to NEVER give to poultry, because of the issues with drug resistant bacteria and human health. Look it up on the FARAD.org site. It's a great drug for dogs and cats, but not for food animals. Mary

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's not allowed in poultry, true, but it can be used per the label in cattle and swine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mary (@Folly's place ), I know some vets won't prescribe it for use in poultry, but *many* do, and it's not because they don't know about the FDA ELDU restrictions, it's because many times it's really the only affordable option. @ladyearth was told in another thread about the restriction, but chose to use it anyway.
    -Kathy

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by