1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What foods will harm chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jphendrix, Nov 28, 2012.

1. jphendrix

jphendrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    I was wondering what foods to NOT give to the chickens? What foods would hurt them? I don't want to give them things that could cause them to get sick and die!

2. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Thankyou. that is very helpful on what they can eat. Will seasonings hurt them if I put seasoned leftovers in for them to eat?

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    No seasonings wont hurt them but dont over do it on the salt. Chickens cant tolerate a large amount of salt, its not good for them.

4. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Thank you. i wanted to make sure. I've got some beef stew I want to give them and don't want to hurt them.

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Oh beef stew would be fine. My flock gets dinner leftovers all the time. Spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, mostaccioli, chicken, ground beef, ect. They love it all but just make sure that they don't get to mush that they don't eat their feed. Oh and lots of garlic or onions will give their eggs and 'off ' flavor.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Don't give them anything moldy or spoiled. Leftovers are great!

No raw potato peels or avocado peels I have read.

If I give them anything salty like tortilla chips I soak the salt out of them and rinse them til clean. Chicken feed is usually 0.5 percent (under 1%) salt.

7. Safado

Safado Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2009
    Riverton Utah

a little mold is fine. Slightly spoiled is fine too. the best thing about chickens, maybe above eggs for us is that they are great garbage disposals.

8. JUPAFiSH

JUPAFiSH Out Of The Brooder

No raw potato peels - does anyone know why? Mine have had them since they started to eat scraps. They love them.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There are a few things on that "Chicken Treat Chart" that make no sense at all and there are things on the chart that are misleading also.
    Potatoes are just fine skins and all.

I have fed potatoes to my chickens for 30+ year and have never seen a problem.

Chris

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by