What garden plants okay for chickens?

MandalaMaMa

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
southern Oregon coast
Was wondering what garden plants are okay to feed the girls? I have bush beans, cucumber, zucchini and yellow squash plants. Can I feed them any of these plants when they stop producing?

All of those sound fine. Mine love the broccoli plants when I pull them up especially if there happen to be caterpillars attached. I also feed peelings and scraps of all kinds to them. The have their preferences but eat about any thing. I

have read that citrus is not good for them as it is too acidic and my girls don't like it anyway. I have also read that onions and peppers can make the eggs taste funny so I don't feed those either but about any veggie you can eat, so can the chickies.

Mine love red things especially: Watermellon (they will strip it down to the thinest rind you have ever seen), tomatoes and strawberries. Have fun.
frow.gif

Ya, all those should be fine for your chickens to eat if they want to, mine like bean plants, but don't really like any of the squash type greenery, they like the squash though.
Have you seen the Chicken Treat Chart in the Learning Center Articles?

And Puddin Fluff, Finally, somebody has come up with a good reason to grow caterpillars, I mean broccoli, somehow I knew it wasn't for us to eat.

Mine have never been interested in the squash plants. I'm going to try the bean plants tomorrow, just pull the plant and let them strip the beans and leaves if they want.

Back
Top Bottom