What gauge needle to use for vaccinating chicks?

Where did you purchase the vaccine from? Your instructions should have the recommended gauge and length listed.

Strombergs lists this:
For vaccination, an automatic syringe with 22- to 20-gauge needles, 3/8-inch to 1/2-inch in length, is recommended.
https://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Mareks-Vaccine-1000-Doses/Poultry-Vaccines-Blood-Tests

MD-Vac CLF (Zoetis) labeling looks like it lists the same recommendation https://jeffers.cvpservice.com/product/basic/view/3690294

Oops I ordered it from strombergs I must have missed that! :he Thanks a lot!

Oops I ordered it from strombergs I must have missed that! :he Thanks a lot!

LOL btw- I was not yelling with that bold type in the previous post - I copied that from Strombergs and it came out bold - I tried to change it, but it kept going bold, so I gave up:confused:

Glad you were able to find out what you needed! Good luck with the vaccinations.

Oh and I absolutely agree with @RodNTN your avatar is so sweet:)

LOL btw- I was not yelling with that bold type in the previous post - I copied that from Strombergs and it came out bold - I tried to change it, but it kept going bold, so I gave up:confused:

Glad you were able to find out what you needed! Good luck with the vaccinations.

Oh and I absolutely agree with @RodNTN your avatar is so sweet:)

Oh I know! don't worry I didn't think you were yelling :D Thank you.My avatar was my baby rooster George he was so adorable.

I am going to be vaccinating my chicks for mereks and I need to order needles, what gauge and length would be best?
Needles are not normally used to vaccinate chicks against Merek's, The day old birds are sprayed with a fine mist that contains the Mereks vaccine of the strain of Mereks that is most prevalent in your area. The tiny droplets cling to the tips of the chicks' down and as I've mentioned earlier the chicks' own pecking response, instinct, or behavior, causes the biddies to pick these wee droplets of vaccine laden water off of one another. It may be different today but back in THE day a 20 gauge needle was also used to vaccinate chicks under the hide at the backs of the peeps necks. One more thing, the vaccine is sold in 1,000 dose vials (at least I think it still is sold that way) and if the whole vile is not used up within 2 hours after you open it the whole thing goes bad.

Back
Top Bottom