What gender am I? a lot of pictures!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babychickfarmer, Jun 14, 2008.

1. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I think this chick might be a cockeral. His comb is already red, he has thicker legs and he has longer tail feathers. what does everyone think. I will post pics of him and then some of the others to compare. They are 4 weeks this tuesday.
    Here he/she is
    [​IMG]

a close up kinda of his comb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and then his pretty feathering
    [​IMG]

and then here is a few others which I am pretty sure are hens.
    There were standing like this cause they was lookin into the brooder at the other chicks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    I hope this isn't bad news, but it looks like it may indeed turn into a rooster. I got 2 Ameraucana/EE "pullets" a few months ago and one, who had a prominent comb as yours does, started crowing a few days ago. I kind of wondered why this one's comb was more developed than the others. Now I know.

3. babychickfarmer

OH but thats good...i didn't mention I WANT a rooster. As of now we don't have one and we have a lead hen that is doing some damaged as she trys to mate with the other hens. I want the rooster to come in and hopefull teach her a lesson (tell her hey Im the man around here not u missy. [​IMG] )

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Yep, if you look at his comb he has the tell tale 3 rows of "peas" in his pea comb instead of 1 which would mean hen. Congrats! He's a boy!! [​IMG]

5. babychickfarmer

YEAHH!!! thats what I wanted to hear. I bet my mom 5 bucks he is a boy and it's so funny to cause he is the nocest of the chicks. He's always running towards the front of the brooder when I walk up as the rest run to the back... [​IMG] I
    m so excited!!!!

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    roos are often the sweetest chicks. silkieluvr's method of sexing is correct. Congrats on your baby boy- and your 5$!

7. babychickfarmer

Yippee, Chickerdoodle is now chickerdoodledooo! any one else think he is a boy??

8. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I would say Roo as well. Ameracaunas can take longer then other breeds to develop the red color in their combs.

This is our Roosa at 2 years old and as you can tell his still is not a very tall comb like other breeds.

[​IMG]

9. babychickfarmer

OK well this morning I heard what I think was him trying to crow. It sounded like a rooster crowing just really brittle and babylike. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by