1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What gender and breed are my chickens? When will they start laying if hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silverwarrior, Jun 15, 2016.

1. silverwarrior

silverwarrior Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    So i have these two older chickens about 4 months old. What gender do you think they are? And can you judge the breed ? The black one, Rohan, didnt grow a tail till a few days ago miraculously. Also, i got them on 10th march so that makes them about 16-17 weeks old. The brown one hasnt got a big comb, just a pink small comb. Any idea when , if a hen, any will start laying?
    [​IMG]
    start laying?
    [​IMG]

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm not too sure on breeds,but the bottom one is a cockerel.

3. Lil Peeps

Lil Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    They are both beautiful chickens! It looks like you have got yourself a hen and a rooster. The top one is a hen and the bottom one is a rooster. I have no idea on breeds but I will do some research and try to get back to you. Are these chickens really small? Like bantams? Or standard size? Do you think these two might be the same breed? One average hens can start laying anywhere from 20-30 weeks of age, it just depends on the breed, some lay a little earlier and same can lay a little later.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Top one looks like a pullet, bottom is cockerel. I'm not sure on breed, but if they are about 17 weeks the pullet might start laying in a month or two. The average age for a pullet to start laying is about 6 months. Some lay sooner, others later.

5. silverwarrior

May 11, 2016
    thanks. About the breeds there's a low chance that they are from anywhere but Asia( South East). I hear everyone say that the brown is pullet and black one is cockerel but I just can't believe it. The cockerel acts so cowardly since it was a chick and the pullet doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. I can gently hold her and lay her down on soft sheets and she just lies there looking here and there whereas the black one resists so much.
    But I guess you are right. Behaviour can be different

6. Lil Peeps

Apr 16, 2016

In my experience my pullets have been my brave fiesty ones. In fact my little Bantam who is about a 1/5 the size of my dog will charge the dog and jump on her and peck her with her little neck hackles up. When a cat or another young chicken comes near her she actually starts growling for them to stay away. And she is a confirmed hen who lays for me almost every day. She is definitely brave! And we got a Swedish flower buff rooster at the same time who was the same age as her and she only came up to about his legs and he was afraid of everything! While she was like a fierce little warrior. Then when he grew up all the way when he was about 6 months old he became a man and then was fearless. So sometimes the boys are the sweet, cowardly ones. In fact I have found that the sweetest chicks, the ones you always get attached too are always the boys.

Here is a picture of Edwina and Gideon both at 12 weeks old. She is so much smaller because she is a bantam.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, a pullet and a cockerel. They look like mixed breeds, with maybe some game influence.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2

9. silverwarrior

May 11, 2016
    the pullet is a GOLDEN CAMPINE!!!!! I just found out online while researching. What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  10. Lil Peeps

Apr 16, 2016

She does look a lot like a Campine hen. Her pattern on her lower body is a little different than a Campine but I guess it could differ a little. The only other thing I would ask you about is the little hens comb. Is it Pea type of Single type? You can't really see it in the picture. If it's pea type it couldn't be a purebred Campine, if it's a single comb it definitely could be. Whatever she is she is very beautiful! Have you picked out names for these two yet? Also where did you get the chickens and is there a possibility of them being mixed breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by