What gender and breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by koko51, Aug 20, 2016.

1. koko51

koko51 Just Hatched

Jul 8, 2016
    Australia
    Hello.. I was asking a few weeks ago about the gender and breed of my chicks. I have some new pics if anyone could guess that would be great! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    One Black sexlink and one Red sexlink. Both pullets.

3. koko51

koko51 Just Hatched

Jul 8, 2016
    Australia
    Oh cool thanks.. We were thinking the red one was a cockerel but glad it may not be.. Another question and sorry for my ignorance, what is a sexlink?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with junebuggena

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A cross breed done for easy and accurate sexing at hatch. Black sexlinks involve crossing a barred hen, usually a Barred Rock, with a non-barred, non-white rooster, usually a Rhode Island Red or Production Red. The resulting chicks can sexed at hatching. Males have a white spot on the back of the head and feather in with barring. Females hatch almost completely black, and feather in black with some gold through the head, neck and chest. Red sexlinks involve crossing a hen with silver base color, usually a Delaware or Columbian Rock, to a rooster with a red base color rooster, usually a Rhode Island Red or Production Red. The resulting females are gold/red with some white. Males are solid white, with some red as they mature.
    Both are exceptional layers due to the crossbreeding.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree you have a red and a black sex link, both females [​IMG].

A sex link is a one time cross, where the sex ls linked to the color of the bird.

Red sex links mean the female chicks are red/gold, the males are silver/white.

Black sex links mean the females are solid (not barred), black with red/gold makrings. The males are barred (colored kinda like a barred Rock, but messier pattern).

If you know what you have, it makes it easy peasy to sex the chicks at hatch.

7. koko51

koko51 Just Hatched

Jul 8, 2016
    Australia
    Wow thank you for the info and advice, much appreciated... I can't wait till they start laying eggs!
    Take care

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not a problem [​IMG]

You might know red sex links as ISA brown in your area. They have different names from different parent companies.

Once they start laying, I'm thinking you'll be very happy with them. They're little laying machines!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by