What Gender and Color is my Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CoturnixKid, Oct 13, 2016.

1. CoturnixKid

CoturnixKid Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2016
    NH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hatched this baby out of a mixed utility batch I ordered online. I can sex regular wildtype coturnix, but this one has me a bit confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much :)

2. nikirushka

nikirushka Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2014
    That looks like a roux (fawn, dilute wild type). Sexing is the same as for the wilds, just paler - same reddish colouration without chest spots for the boys, and no red and spots for the girls. Looks like a hen to me.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh cool :) I'm not familiar with the color but it looks like a paler version of a pharaoh female to me! I can see spots on her chest :D

4. CoturnixKid

CoturnixKid Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2016
    NH
    Thank you both! I really was hoping she was a hen. She's pretty and it would be a shame to lose her.

5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Yep looks just like my Roux. I have two hens like this. Unfortunately, from what I have discovered, the color is recessive so with the males I have I can't get more of this color.
    Here's a picture of one of mine. She was being very wiggly and uncooperative but you can see her coloring and spots.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  6. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Glad to see this post. I have two in the brooder at a week old that are likely this color. Too light to be pharaoh, too dark to be golden. I have all three to compare side-by-side.

7. nikirushka

Dec 2, 2014
    That's interesting eHuman - I have one like that that I'm wondering about, I posted about it a day or two ago. Too light for pharoah, too dark for golden. I'm really hoping it is a roux - I had one hen but lost her in July to a head injury and I've been unable to find another.

Do you have a picture of your chicks? It would be interesting to see what yours look like.

8. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    I'll see if I can get one for you later today with all three colors side-by-side.

9. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Here is a picture of mine as chicks. You can see one of the Roux chicks on the top right and one in the middle. The others are Pharaoh and Italian.

[​IMG]

10. nikirushka

Dec 2, 2014
    Now that definitely is interesting! Thank you for that. They really look like my mystery chick. These are my two little guys:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by