What gender and colour are my 4 silkie chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunflowerTheBun, Dec 14, 2016.

1. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    4 silkie chicks hatched to a partridge mum and a black (kind of) dad - 1 month and 19 days today.
    (Hatched on 26/10/16)
    Any ideas regarding colour classification and/or gender?

Mum: [​IMG]
    Named Mr. Feathers by me even though she's a girl
    Dad: [​IMG] Named Prince Pom Pom by my friend
    Chicks:[​IMG]
    This one has always been the biggest in size and the most adventurous - I'm thinking male? Their name is Chippy Chirpy (my friend named them).
    [​IMG]
    This one has always been the smallest by quite a bit (last hatched, perhaps a little while later?) I'm thinking same colour as dad? My friend also named this one: Princess Popkins (or Prince if they turn out male)
    [​IMG]
    Named Earl Grey by me (will change if they're a girl to some other title and then Grey, even though Earl Grey is amazing because of the tea). Not much to say about this one and the next, they've been pretty regular.
    [​IMG]
    This is Countess (or Count if boy) Coco

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age. All I could give you at this point is a wild guess.

3. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.

Thanks, I thought it'd be too early.

4. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    It's cool how a white one hatched from a partridge mom and black dad. My guess would be that the others might be considered Grey or Grey Partridge.

5. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.

Thank you! Yes, well they're Aunty is white (kind of) so I can understand that, all the colours must be in the genes somewhere. I say kind of because she's sorta golden (maybe porcelain?) idk but thanks for replying!

6. bantamsrmyfav

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    Neato! That makes sense why Mr. Feathers is a lighter Partridge if White silkies are in her family.

7. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Neato indeed! (great word btw) I've seen pictures of other partridges and thought they were dark, but yes, Mr. Feathers is just light. Thanks for replying!

8. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    I really need to post more pictures, their 'pom poms' are really growing so soon I think we'll have some idea. Anyway, will leave it a little longer and find time at some point. Thanks for all the replies so far! My chick raising adventure has been fun. :D

9. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Chillin' With My Peeps

The last chick I do not know the Gender but looks like a Partrige.The first chick photo is a White Silkie and looks like a Cockerel.And the picture of Popkins is to small to see, sorry :( and Earl Grey looks like she might turn out to be Gray!She is a blue silkie

10. bantamsrmyfav

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    You're welcome, thanks for your replies too! Look [​IMG] forward to the pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by