What Gender Are My Babies? NEW PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alycia, May 9, 2008.

1. Alycia

Alycia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    They're about three weeks old, going on four weeks. No crowing is heard yet, but their little crowns are developing! Please help me tell which ones are male and which ones a female, [​IMG]. They are Phoenixes, and the tree black ones are Silkie X Onagadori, if that helps! I can always get more pictures.

[​IMG]
    This is my Phoenix baby named Blitz. I think s/he may end up being silver.

[​IMG]
    Another what I believe to be Golden Phoenix named Branch.

[​IMG]
    A veery black Silkie X Onagadori. S/he already has a very long tail. I named him/her Cricket.

[​IMG]
    My darling, I'm hoping boy, Davy lol. Another Silkie X Onagadori. Named him after the pirate Davy Jones.

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure about this little Phoenix. S/he is the only one with all black feathers. I'm thinking it's probably a Silver, but I dunno. I named him/her Sweeney.

[​IMG]
    King/Queen Chubbiness. lol. I named him/her Theodore, after the fat chipmunk -- hoping it's a boy or else I'll just call her Theodora lol. The final Silkie X Onagadori.

[​IMG]
    This little Phoenix has a crooked middle toe so I named it Tripper. When it was one a couple of days old, s/he ran and tumbled over head first lol. He's now starting to get white feathers over her/his brown ones, which is kinds weird.

Thanks! I'm still not very good at determining gender lol.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I can't see the legs on the silkie crosses, but if the roo was the silkie, then darker legs mean you have females, lighter legs are the roos. You have some beautiful birds. I would love to so crickets tail, if you have the time.

3. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    The father was an Onagadori and the mother was a Blue Gray Silkie Hen. It's really the best of both worlds with those three mixes. They are getting those beautiful tails and are extremely sweet. That's the thing about getting pics of their legs, when you get a hold of them, they are so docile, they like to lay down and you can't see their legs lol. They are feathered, however.

Here's a picture I took, showing Cricket's tail about a week or so ago. It has gotten longer, howevever.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  4. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Since the silkie is the mom, then the pullets will have the light skin, and cockerals will have lighter skin than a silkie, but darker than dads.
    Are these the first of this cross you have hatched?

5. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    Yes! They were totally on a whim, I got them from the same person I got my Phoenixes. The cross was a total accident, but are turning out to be great. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check their little legs later on lol. I will be selling a few in the future.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  6. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    Turns out Cricket is the boy, and the other two are females. Well, that takes care of the Silkie X's lol.

7. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    This one is named Blitz. Cockerel? He has the longest tail.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sweeney, the all-black Phoenix with the exception of a few white feathers on his chest. Well, maybe her.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This one has the biggest crown, and was born with a few crooked toes on one foot. However, it does not fase him at all, he walks normally. His, or her, name is Tripper.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Theodore/Theodora? Chubby Silkie X Onagadori. More of the blueish color. Has a longer tail than Tripper, but not quite as long as Blitz's.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Davy/Davie? Slightly smaller than Theo/Thea. Shorter tail. I've noticed that the Silkie x Onagadori's have shorter tails, but much thicker tails.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The darkest of the Silkie x Onagadori. Longer tail. Named him/her Cricket because it's so dark.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by