What gender are my chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickenwomen7, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Chickenwomen7

Chickenwomen7 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    Our chickens are about 15 weeks old and we haven't gotten any eggs they are ameracaunas and we want to know what gender they are. Is there any way to tell?

2. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Are they from a hatchery or breeder? If you post pics, bunches of people here can help you!! Have you looked at the easter egger sexing tips and tricks thread? What colors are they?

3. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Hi! and [​IMG]

It would help if you could post photos. : ) I know for Easter Eggers (or ours, at least) it took some time before they started laying- I'd say about six months or longer. Here's a diagram that might help. :)
    [​IMG]

4. Chickenwomen7

Chickenwomen7 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    Here are some pictures[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Chickenwomen7

Chickenwomen7 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    they are from a breeder

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I see 4 roosters. 2 red hens and pic #4 is a hen. And they are Easter eggers.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Your birds look more to be a mix of breeds, with some Easter egger background. I can't see the combs well enough to say for sure, but all your hens may not carry the blue/green egg gene, you may get brown or cream colored eggs from them.

If you bought the birds as all pullets (females), you need to contact the seller and have them make it right. If you bought the birds as pure bred Ameraucanas, and paid a higher price for a pure bred, you need to contact the seller and have them refund you some $.

For backyard chicken keepers that just want colored eggs, Easter Eggers are usually the way to go, you don't need purebred Ameraucanas.

8. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    The two that are white & gray brown flecked with brown wing patches are for sure EE roosters. You won't find that color pattern with the brown wing patches on an EE pullet. Very pretty roos btw. : )

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The only hens I see are the two red ones and the bird in fourth photo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by