1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Gender Are My Chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IndigoChicken12, Aug 1, 2013.

1. IndigoChicken12

IndigoChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2013
    My chicks are now about 6 weeks old, and I was wondering if you guys could help me identify the genders. I really hope that I don't have any roosters, but I know that's unlikely. Sorry for the bad photos, but chickens are hard to photograph! If you need more pics, just ask. And also, both the EE and PR have a large bump of longer feathers on the tops of their backs that are longer than others. Thanks!

Clover BR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luna SLW
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ivy Australorp
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

June PR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fern EE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Unfortunately, with the combs and red coming in on the wattles, the first bird, the barred one and the SLW?, both look like roos. The pictures of the black bird are fuzzy and I can't really see it well but what I can see looks suspicious. I think the fourth looks like a girl. The EE.the pictures are fuzzy, but the color looks female. You might want to get side shots of the black and the EE.

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Full body shots of the Barred Rock and Wyandotte would be helpful--not being held. The coloring of the BR makes me wonder if it's actually a Black Sex Link cockerel.

4. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    I think the first looks very much like a roo!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Bird #1 and #2 are suspect. I believe the rest are pullets. But that first bird... hmmm. If it is a barred rock, leg and body coloring are hen, but that's a lot of color and wattle development for a 6 week old pullet to be showing. But then I've had pullets now and then who I was sure were roo's because of early development and color in the comb/wattles who turned out to be hens. Sometimes you just have to wait and see.

6. IndigoChicken12

May 5, 2013
    Thanks for all of your input! I'll try to get more pictures soon, if I can get them to hold still... I'm all most positive the first chicken is a barred rock, it came from a hatchery.

7. IndigoChicken12

May 5, 2013
    I also wanted to ask something. I've been noticing some feathers around the brooder, but I haven't noticed any feather picking. Should I be worried?

8. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

The reason I wondered if the barred one was a Black Sex Link Cockerel is because there seems to be a mix of feminine and masculine features--the legs, beak and body color are dark, like pullets, yet the comb seems to be fairly developed for the age. However, those indicators are never 100% and usually you have to wait for crowing and pointy feathers, or eggs. The SLW should be obvious before too long--solid white patches on shoulders would indicate cockerel. EEs are a mixed bunch--there's a really great, long thread about Easter Egger sexing that may be helpful.

I wouldn't worry too much about feathers around the coop--especially if there doesn't seem to be any signs of feather picking or bald patches on the birds.

9. IndigoChicken12

May 5, 2013
    Thanks popsicle. [​IMG]

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by