what gender are my cockatiels

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by elsfieldchickens, Feb 10, 2014.

1. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Wondering wat gender my tiels are they are very noisy and love to whistle to you
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Those are super bright orange cheek patches, so I am confidant..... the front is definitely male! The one in the back is a little harder to see, but I think it is just as bright, so also male.

The females have much duller orange cheek patches.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Females will have a barring on the underneath of their tails.The grey is definetly a male but unless you can get a pic of the underside of the lutinos tail I would not take a guess on this one.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. elsfieldchickens

Thanks for all the help
    What colour females should i get for them?

5. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Color of cheek patches has nothing to do with gender in cockatiels. The gray with the yellow head is a male because he has a yellow head. The lutino can't be sexed from the pictureWhy do you need to get them females? If they're happy as-is, leave them that way. Tony is right -- female lutinos will have white and yellow bars on the underside of their tails, but that will be hard to see. Male lutinos have solid feathers there. Perhaps you should get a book on cockatiels, or look them up on the internet -- you're already online to come here, and there are plenty of informative websites about cockatiels, showing pictures of various mutations as male and female for comparison.

:)

6. elsfieldchickens

I bought them as a pair To Breed from

7. Rosa moschata

Mar 20, 2013
    You intend to breed cockatiels, but you didn't know how a normal gray male cockatiel looks as compared to a normal gray female? Have you researched cockatiels at all before deciding to breed them? Was the lutino sold as a hen? If the lutino was sold as a male, and you bought a "breeding pair", then you were duped.

8. elsfieldchickens

we did extensive research but wer assured the were a breeding pair thats why i wanted to check

9. Rosa moschata

Mar 20, 2013
    Then...wouldn't you be able to answer your own question?

10. elsfieldchickens

we had our doubts but we just couldn't say no because they are so tame and friendly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by