What Gender are my Coturnix Quail? *Pics*

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mar013q, Jul 12, 2012.

1. mar013q

mar013q Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Maryland
    These are four week quail that I hatched from eggs bought at the local auction labeled "Japanese Quail". What gender are these and what type of coturnix quail are they? Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. ClintDowns

ClintDowns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    I am still new to the quail game but on the browns they all look like hens. From what I was told the hens have spots on the breast as the Roos have a rusty color.

3. bingrancher

bingrancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    first 4 are wild pattern or called pharaoh and last one is english white. first 3 look to be roosters and #4 is hard to tell for sure but looks to be a hen and white one just stare at it for 2 weeks and see if it crows lol

4. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    1,2,3 look to be boys as I can see the rusty orange coming in through the spotting which will soon disappear as all juvis start off looking like hens they also have darker faces which signify boys, 4 is a hen going by the pale breast feathers behind the spotting and the relatively pale face and the white could go either way but I'm going to say hen!

5. ClintDowns

ClintDowns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    Whew, I really am new at this.

6. Sians quails

Sians quails Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    hi sorry to cash in on your post but can you help with mine too!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    The one on the right is male. I don't have a clue with the white color bird.

8. Sians quails

Jul 11, 2012
    Thanks Speedy2020 I was hoping they would both be female but oh well that's mother nature (and weirdly I call him boy), I won't be able to use him to breed because he has a lot of problems. The only thing I could find with his symptoms was botulism but he seems to be doing OK and he loves cuddles I just hope he isn't in pain :(

9. Sians quails

Jul 11, 2012
    So I just found out the other day that the white one is a female... as I thought they were both boys I was a little shocked to find eggs in their cage and thought someone had played a prank on me!
    I wonder why it has taken her nearly 5 months to lay eggs!?
    I've also wasted the last 3 weeks waiting on what I thought were fertile eggs to hatch in the incubator!
    Will have to make myself a candling thing today so I don't make these silly mistakes again!
    [​IMG]

10. moongdss81

moongdss81 New Egg

Apr 9, 2014
    I have 4- 2.5 week old coturnix quails that have chest feathers coming in well. Three look like they may be males and I am lost on the fourth....I'm hoping I have it wrong with at least one of the first three, as I would love 1 to 2 females. Any help in identifying them would be appreciated!

[​IMG] bird 1
    [​IMG]bird 2

[​IMG]bird 3

[​IMG]bird 3 again[​IMG]bird 4

Thanks for any help in identifying these lovely birds : )

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by