1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what gender are my silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pjsmithsparky, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Pjsmithsparky

Pjsmithsparky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
  2. Pjsmithsparky

Aug 20, 2012
    Because I can't have a rooster in my neighbor hood

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I agree that Henny Penny looks like a rooster with that big ol comb. Your little partridge in the first picture could be a boy too with all of those reddish feathers. Girls *usually* stay a more even, demur brown while the boys are a nice, flashy red.
    Nikki

4. Pjsmithsparky

Aug 20, 2012
    Thanks for the help I will swap him at the breeders, it's sad because he new his name and came to me in the mornings I guess some things are ment to happen.:(

5. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    from The looks of it you may have all boys. Ruby rose looks pretty boyish due to the slicked back crest. females usually have more of a pom pom. any of the three can you see developed wattles yet. If so then most likely boys.

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    ID say ruby Rose is a boy, he looks just like my milly, who turned into billy and started crowing!! He had to go back also! but thats the only one im sure of. I also have silkies. the girls have a huge pom pom on the head round as a circle. its hard to tell while its developing, but my bet would be Ruby Rose is definetaly a male. Best wishes!!

7. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    I agree, looks like all boys

8. Pjsmithsparky

Aug 20, 2012
    That's so disappointing I came to know them all and all their personallys:(

9. Pjsmithsparky

Aug 20, 2012
    Good and bad news ruby is a boy for sure big wattle and comb and the same with penny but they haven't started crowing and Gracie is a girl, it's funny because they cluck then they cheep so I hear a wird mix sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by