What gender are my two chicks?

zoes881

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2016
We got two chicks and they are 4 weeks now. This is Cashew...
[/IMG]
And this is Peanut...

What do you think? We are hoping for hens!

They're way too young to tell. Check back when they are 8-10 weeks of age.

Though that first looks to be a Red Sex Link; if it is, it's a pullet. Sex Links are one of the only breeds that could ever be sexed this early, as they can be color sexed.

Last edited:
Thank you @QueenMisha I'll definitely post updates about what they look like and ask what people think about the sexes of them. I'm just hoping for hens so badly!

So the chicks now are about 5 1/2 weeks old and I was wondering if it's easier to tell the sex now. The one below is Peanut and it (I should say) is an Easter Egger. Peanut does not have a comb growing by the way. I'm sorry for the picture quality!!

The one below this is Cashew. Cashew is a Rhode Island Red.

Cashew is the dominant one. Her comb is looking suspicious although I know that Rhode Island Red Hen's have combs. What sex do you think my chicks are?

So the chicks now are about 5 1/2 weeks old and I was wondering if it's easier to tell the sex now. The one below is Peanut and it (I should say) is an Easter Egger. Peanut does not have a comb growing by the way. I'm sorry for the picture quality!!

The one below this is Cashew. Cashew is a Rhode Island Red.

Cashew is the dominant one. Her comb is looking suspicious although I know that Rhode Island Red Hen's have combs. What sex do you think my chicks are?

Too early to be sure. So far Peanut is developing a nice even female pattern which is a good sign.

Cashew is indeed an RIR. That comb is pretty suspicious, it very well may be a cockerel.

At about 3 weeks old, my RIR pullets had a bit of a comb- less than yours, but they were also younger. So I wouldn't lose hope yet, but if it turns very red that's another story.

Last edited:
@Sherloki @QueenMisha. Thanks for the feedback!! I will Definitely post in the next upcoming weeks so I can get your feedback!! Thank you!

Hey everyone. The chicks are now 6 1/2 weeks almost 7, and I was wondering if you can tell the sexes of them easier now. So below we have peanut.
and then below here is Cashew. Cashew is a Rhode Island Red by the way.
. So what do you think the sexes of my chickens are??

Back
Top Bottom