What gender are my two chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by zoes881, Jun 11, 2016.

1. zoes881

zoes881 Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    We got two chicks and they are 4 weeks now. This is Cashew...[​IMG][/IMG]
    And this is Peanut...[​IMG][​IMG]
    What do you think? We are hoping for hens!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They're way too young to tell. Check back when they are 8-10 weeks of age.

Though that first looks to be a Red Sex Link; if it is, it's a pullet. Sex Links are one of the only breeds that could ever be sexed this early, as they can be color sexed.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

4. zoes881

zoes881 Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Thank you @QueenMisha I'll definitely post updates about what they look like and ask what people think about the sexes of them. I'm just hoping for hens so badly!

5. zoes881

zoes881 Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    So the chicks now are about 5 1/2 weeks old and I was wondering if it's easier to tell the sex now. The one below is Peanut and it (I should say) is an Easter Egger. Peanut does not have a comb growing by the way. I'm sorry for the picture quality!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The one below this is Cashew. Cashew is a Rhode Island Red. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Cashew is the dominant one. Her comb is looking suspicious although I know that Rhode Island Red Hen's have combs. What sex do you think my chicks are?

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Too early to be sure. So far Peanut is developing a nice even female pattern which is a good sign.

Cashew is indeed an RIR. That comb is pretty suspicious, it very well may be a cockerel.

7. Sherloki

Sherloki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Texas
    At about 3 weeks old, my RIR pullets had a bit of a comb- less than yours, but they were also younger. So I wouldn't lose hope yet, but if it turns very red that's another story.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  8. zoes881

zoes881 Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    @Sherloki @QueenMisha. Thanks for the feedback!! I will Definitely post in the next upcoming weeks so I can get your feedback!! Thank you!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Queen Misha

10. zoes881

zoes881 Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Hey everyone. The chicks are now 6 1/2 weeks almost 7, and I was wondering if you can tell the sexes of them easier now. So below we have peanut. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] and then below here is Cashew. Cashew is a Rhode Island Red by the way. [​IMG] [​IMG]. So what do you think the sexes of my chickens are??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by