What gender are my two chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kiimmyn, Jun 26, 2016.

1. kiimmyn

kiimmyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Hi BYC,
    I have two chicks I want to try and know the gender of. The black and white one is a barred rock mix silkie. I know they can be sex linked, but I dont know which parent was who unfortunately. The other chick is I believe and OEGB. I think she is a pullet, but I keep on hearing a sound from her which is loud and sounds like she is trying to crow... Please let me know what you think, and thank you! :)

Barred Rock X Silkie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OEGB:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    How old? The first looks to be a Cockerel, the second Pullet....Although you says she's trying to crow? Are you sure it's her & not him? I maybe wrong. The OGEB also has colored legs, you sure it's an OGEB? How about a side pic with them standing on their own, looking for the hackle & streamers. Someone else is sure to peep in shortly....

3. kiimmyn

Apr 2, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure the OEGB is a mix, but I believe she is at least half OEGB. Here is a pic of them on the sides

4. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    How old? Your OEGB what color is the skin? If the first is Silkie mix, it's probable the buff is also. If I recall Silkies got "black" skin & a 5th toe but that would explain the dark color legs. Going by the comb still think its a pullet. Just wait until other peep in, they will want to know the ages for sure.

5. kiimmyn

Apr 2, 2016
    They are a month old. The OEGB does have black skin but doesn't have 5 toes like a silkie. The egg was very small, smaller than a silkies when she hatched.

6. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I'm guessing the buff is part Silkie & OEGB and due to the mix, no 5th toe. Still says it's a Pullet...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by