1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What gender are my two Coturnix Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TheWulfofAwe, Mar 2, 2015.

1. TheWulfofAwe

TheWulfofAwe New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    I have just wanted to ask a question because I seem to have a male (tan and plain chest) and a female (speckled breast) I just wanted someone to confirm for me because my female has not been laying eggs and it has been more than 3 weeks since.
    Any and all help will be appreciated. Thank you for your time :)

Female

Male[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    "Its been more than three weeks since"? Im sorry but if those are the only two you have, eggs will be a long time coming.... Both of the birds in your pix are roos....

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually cull birds that look like your "female" so they don't cause this type of confusion for new keepers.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheWulfofAwe

TheWulfofAwe New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    ah okay. Thanks you two. I need to go back to my source and buy a couple of females.

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Coturnix should be kept with at least 3 hens per rooster and 4 is even better. They breed so aggressively that they can easily breed one hen to death, at the very best you'll have to separate them often to let her head heal. If you can get a few hens, it'll make your birds happier and your life easier.

6. Benzohes

Benzohes New Egg

Mar 29, 2014
    have you tried looking for testicles yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by