What Gender are My White Pekin Ducklings

Redcap Chickens Farms

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2018
Hello, this is my first time with White Pekin ducks and they are one week old I would like to know the gender of the ducks before naming them.

Last edited:
Pics aren’t working. Plus at one week the only way to determine sex is by vent sexing and if we’re not experienced with doing it they can be injured. So best thing is to just wait another 3-4 weeks by then they maybe having voice changes that is a good way to tell sex drakes have raspy voice like they have a cold females haves loud quack can’t mistake that lol

I'm not experienced but luckily have never injured a duck.... How exactly are people injuring ducks doing this? Forcing their neither regions too far out or something?

Despite my inexperience, I have a great accuracy rating...

Almost 50% ☺️

Occasionally I see a little blob of drakeness in there but just as often I think I see or, or don't see it, and I am wrong

Best way I have found of determining the sex of a duck is as follows...
If you want a boy, give it a girls name, and vice versa, works a treat for me, just ask Stella, my beautiful big goofy drake...

For me I just have to wait till 5-6 weeks old when 90% of my girls get their quack (why does all the literature say 9 weeks? I've never had a girl wait that long to get her gorgeous honky little girl voice)

That’s funny and you can ask Hope who ended up being a Opie for the same reason.? Lol. From all I have read on the issue of vent sexing is yes injured hips.

I LOVE that honky voice that girls get when they first get their 'quack'. Though I have noticed drakes will often let out some modest honks around 3-4 weeks. The first 4 ducks I raised did a lot of that and had me convinced they are all girls, and every one was a drake. Now I can tell the difference, but I still find myself wanting to believe those deceptive duckling-drake honks might, just this once, be a sign of a girl.
This is before drakes get what I call their 'worried' voice...that voice they get before getting their adult drake voice, where every time they open their mouth they sound terribly distressed and worried about something!

Ok I love that worried voice my boys get as well as the honky one the girls get.

Pics aren’t working. Plus at one week the only way to determine sex is by vent sexing and if we’re not experienced with doing it they can be injured. So best thing is to just wait another 3-4 weeks by then they maybe having voice changes that is a good way to tell sex drakes have raspy voice like they have a cold females haves loud quack can’t mistake that lol
LOVE

That’s funny and you can ask Hope who ended up being a Opie for the same reason.? Lol. From all I have read on the issue of vent sexing is yes injured hips.
Crickey injured hips?

Maybe that's why my vent sexing sucks, I can't imagine how I'd injure hips doing it. If that's a risk clearly I'm not doing it right. I think it need a lot more fingers and enthuasium to put a hip out!

I can’t imagine what else could be injured since were openin the hips to get a good view but maybe internal injured as well I haven’t ever tried to vent sex I either wait for voice change or tail curl which usually by tail curl voice is giving it away. I have learned to tell Roos now before crow but not ducks or geese.

Hello, this is my first time with White Pekin ducks and they are one week old I would like to know the gender of the ducks before naming them.
I can at least give you some guesses by looking at physical traits, but I definitely need to see pictures.

With my own ducklings, I usually have accurate guesses before voice change or curly tail feathers appear, just by going off of personalities and physical traits.

Back
Top Bottom