What gender are these 3-4mo olds? Red sex link and white moore(?) chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jmufly, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jmufly

jmufly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2012
    Williamsburg, VA
    I just bought some chickens (hopefully pullets) from a guy on craigslist, and I want to double check that they are what we think they are. The first he says is a Red Sex Link, and I am 90% sure it is a pullet, but not absolutely certain.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The second he called a Moore chicken, but I can't find anything about a breed by that name. They are definitely bigger birds... similar proportions to the Brahmas I've had in the past. He had several like this, and this one had a significantly smaller comb than many of the others he had, but it looks a little bigger than the other pullets I bought (americaunas and the red above). Also, I was a little concerned about the pointy feathers at the bottom of it's neck (I've been told they should be rounded if they are girls), and the fact that it has been the boldest to integrate with the older girls. Thanks so much for helping me out!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Your RSL is definitely a pullet. If the seller was right that it's a RSL, then those are sexable at birth by color, so it's rare to get mix-ups on those. If this were a RSL cockerel, it would be a white bird with red patches on the wings.

I haven't heard of a Moore chicken, either. I agree with you that it's a cockerel. I definitely see hackle feathers coming in, and a suspicion of saddle feathers as well. That's also a gigantic red comb for a pullet. I'm pretty confident saying that he's a he.

3. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    1- Pullet
    2- Cockeral
    I am pretty sure:)

4. jmufly

jmufly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2012
    Williamsburg, VA
    Thanks y'all. I was afraid of that... just talked to the seller, and he's willing to trade him for a her. Unfortunately, he lives an hour away from me. :( Oh well, at least I don't have to spend time finding a home for this boy.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You're lucky that you don't have to rehome him. That's always difficult for folks. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by