1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What gender are these 5 Dark Cornish? Photos :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenmama22, Sep 29, 2012.

1. chickenmama22

chickenmama22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    I am trying to determine the gender of these ~6 week old Dark Cornish. I ordered 5 straight run, sold 1 at a young age and now have these 5 left. Originally, there were 3 that were lighter brown and 3 that were darker brown, but I don't think that has anything to do with their gender.

I will post 3 pictures of each (back, head, feet)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking at these photos, I'm thinking I've got mostly cockerels. What do you think? Also, if anyone has any hints on how to determine the gender of Dark Cornish as day olds, I'd appreciate it!

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    4 looks like it is the only pullet so far

3. chickenmama22

Aug 29, 2007
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Why did I have to take so many pictures just to come to that conclusion?? LOL

I will probably only keep one of the roosters... I'm thinking number 2 has some really pretty feathers coming.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yea 2 does have some nice feathers but i would keep them as long as you can to choose which one you want to keep as they will go through several different molts before they get their adult feathers in, a few weeks feathering in and molting can make a big difference [​IMG]

5. chickenmama22

Aug 29, 2007
    Thanks! Do I need to look at eyes (eyeliner) and the V on their head to determine gender in the baby chicks? Shame it took me this long to find out they're mostly males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by