What gender are these Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by huckleberryfarm, Oct 24, 2010.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Here are my 6 Ameraucanas: 1 splash, 1 blue and the rest black. They are 13 weeks old. I haven't a clue! Thanks!

#1 [​IMG]

#2 [​IMG]

#3 [​IMG]

#4 [​IMG]

#5 [​IMG]

#6 [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    roo
    pullet
    pullet
    roo
    roo
    roo

I hope Im wrong:-( but they are so perdy!

3. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I thought the blue was a pullet. I was really hoping the splash was one. I think I'm blind to the roo characterisitics on purpose! Of course, a roo or two would help me get some pretty babies of my own!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Same here. 2 and 3 are definite girls, but the rest are likely boys. I do also hope I'm wrong though!

5. Newyorkrita

Newyorkrita Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2010
    Quote:Same here. 2 and 3 are definite girls, but the rest are likely boys. I do also hope I'm wrong though!

I am as clueless as the person that posted the pictures. How do you know that two and three are girls? I can't see any difference [​IMG] Please tell me what to look at to see the difference.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:The two girls look, really, like pullets almost ready to lay. Their combs are getting a little color, yeah, but there's no neck difference, no extra sheen in the black, no curled cockerel feather development, etc. I think after a while of seeing so many BBS Ameraucanas grow up, it's hard to describe how you know. . . It's just something you learn.

A pullet, much like the black one, will have a nice tail, fanned in an A frame, with no curvation (but there can be slightly curved feathers at the rump) and will have normal neck feathers that go right into the back feathers. A cockerel's neck feathers will stop at an angle, then begin with back feathers. This is the sign of hackles almost ready to grow in. Also, a cockerel will have a smaller tail at this age, and it will curve quite a bit.

Another thing to look for is the face - the comb will be bigger and redder, the waddles will be present and curving down with the neck, and the beard will be smaller. Also, the eyes will have a more hawk-like appearance.

7. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Thanks, Illia. That helps a lot. Ameraucanas are hard for me due to the lack of a big comb and wattles. I was convinced my last set were all girls. Even when they started crowing! I think I was still trying to convince myself. I let those roos go so if I'm okay with one of these being a roo.... but only one! [​IMG]

8. Newyorkrita

Newyorkrita Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2010
    Quote:The two girls look, really, like pullets almost ready to lay. Their combs are getting a little color, yeah, but there's no neck difference, no extra sheen in the black, no curled cockerel feather development, etc. I think after a while of seeing so many BBS Ameraucanas grow up, it's hard to describe how you know. . . It's just something you learn.

A pullet, much like the black one, will have a nice tail, fanned in an A frame, with no curvation (but there can be slightly curved feathers at the rump) and will have normal neck feathers that go right into the back feathers. A cockerel's neck feathers will stop at an angle, then begin with back feathers. This is the sign of hackles almost ready to grow in. Also, a cockerel will have a smaller tail at this age, and it will curve quite a bit.

Another thing to look for is the face - the comb will be bigger and redder, the waddles will be present and curving down with the neck, and the beard will be smaller. Also, the eyes will have a more hawk-like appearance.

Thanks. I will study the pictures and the explination. Trying to get smarter here [​IMG]

Honestly I am sure I will just be posting pictures and asking when I do get some Ameraucanas. They are lovely birds. And just love those really blue eggs.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

[​IMG] I couldnt tell if I didnt have some myself-Im only good at the breeds I own-not others:-(

10. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Me, too! I'm usually pretty good except with Ameraucaunas. They mess me up! Can I breed a Splash roo to the Blue & Black hens? Or would a black be better? What about with my black Marans hen for Olive Eggers? I just love that splash. I want to keep him! He's always off in trouble. Roos have the best personalities!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by