What gender are these chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chrisxweaver, Feb 25, 2017.

1. chrisxweaver

chrisxweaver Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know the second one is a female but what about the other ones they are all around 4 months of age give or take.

2. thlynch3

thlynch3 Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'd say they're all female, keep an eye out for behavior to be sure though.

3. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    That first one I would say is a ROO- bright red comb and wattles, and rooish stance along with what appear to be pointed saddle feathers. Is it boxing or biting? Calling other chicks to treats? spending more time as look out than the others?

It is hard to tell about the other two because of the angle of the photos- But they both seem to have colorful pointed saddle feathers around the base of the neck- which are rooster traits.

The second has a weird stretched out neck, so it is hard to tell by body type/stance, but has little color in the wattles/comb. I would say most likely Female

The third one has a hen like body/stance, but those wattles and comb are very red- wait and see!

4. chrisxweaver

chrisxweaver Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2016
    Yes the golden laced Wyandotte or the one I think is a roo is very defensive stands back and watches chases birds and is very stand off ish towards me I am hoping it is a roo so I can have 2-3 more chickens then I will have to get rid of it.

5. thlynch3

thlynch3 Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Yea the hackles are prominent on the Wyandotte.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How much "give or take" are we talking in the approximately 4 months of age? The pattern of a GLW cockerel vs. pullet would be very clear at this point -specifically on the wing bows- the pattern on this bird is that of a pullet and the lacing often makes the hackles appear longer and more pointed than they actually are, and if these were emerging male hackle feathers the corresponding saddle feathers would also be emerging which is not happening.
    The third bird is also a pullet.

7. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    I've had hatchery stock GLW roos look exactly like this one at 16 weeks! It depends on the bird and the stock! I would defintly watch behavior!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They all look like females to me.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

those are all pullets. A gold laced Wyandotte and two red sex links.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by