1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Gender are these chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Las2062, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Las2062

Las2062 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Arizona
    Hi All, I am new to all of this and I am hoping you can help me. I have 3 five week old chicks and I am hoping they are all pullets. I live in a city where rosters are a no-no.

This is YaYa I think she is a red sex linked so I understand that she would be female but want to make sure that she is a red star. So curious and brave but sweet
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2nd is Dandelion, Barred Cochin shy and everything scares her but gentle
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3rd is Julius a Buff Orpington so sweet and friendly
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you for any help you can give!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Your barred Cochin appears to be a rooster. The other two pullets.

3. Las2062

Mar 11, 2016
    Arizona
    Thank you. We are disappointed but will find him a great home in a couple of weeks when we know for sure.
    If I wanted to try again for another female is it OK mix ages when they are you?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would keep anything real young separate but within sight until they get a bit bigger, but I don't have a lot of experience mixing chick ages.

5. Pattycat

Pattycat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2015
    Overgaard, AZ
    I never mix my ages until my chickies are the same size as the others. I have chicks that are two weeks apart right now and if they were together I would be worried as my 4 week olds are three times the size of my 1 week olds. At six weeks they stop doubling in size and start growing slower. I plan on introducing these two groups at 8 and 10 weeks, but slowly at first.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You know for sure right now. That comb is too pink, too early for a pullet. Also, the white bars are too wide, and the black bars are too narrow for a pullet. Males have two barring genes, one from each parent, making them look 'lighter.' Pullets can only ever have a single copy of the barring gene, resulting in darker barring.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry he's a boy

8. Pattycat

Jul 22, 2015
    Overgaard, AZ
    Where in Arizona are you Las? There are rural areas that will allow roos and cockerels within a short distance, and they will go quickly, believe me. I have watched it.
    They make crow collars. I have heard mixed reviews, but it may be worth a try to keep him. He is so beautiful and I would try anything to keep him cause I love the chickies!!!!!

9. Las2062

Mar 11, 2016
    Arizona
    Thank you all for the help. I will only get another one if I can find one the same age. I'll post to give him away now. I'm in the city but I am willing to drive even a couple of hours to find him a good home. I really don't want him to be dinner

10. Pattycat

Jul 22, 2015
    Overgaard, AZ
    Hey Las,
    Where are you at in AZ? I am in Overgaard and he would have a good life here. We have 10 acres and plenty of chickens. If you wait a few weeks I will have girls ready to go and you can leave your boy here. You can trade me! [​IMG] I will let you pick one of my girls to trade. Juet thinking this could be a win win for us. We don't eat our roos and you would have some laying stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by