What gender are these following four ducks? 9 weeks old!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Obyli, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
  2. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    The Welsh Harlequin looks like a male because of his coloration, but I'm not sure because I'm not too familiar with that breed.

With the other three, you wouldn't be able to tell yet just by looking at them, but you should be able to tell by listening to them. The females are probably making a louder, honking sound and the males are probably more raspy. I think my drake sounds like a frog.

Eventually the drakes will get curly tail feathers, but yours are too young for that.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  3. Obyli

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    Bump Bump! Help Help!

4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Don't bump yourself, people get mad. You should be able to tell by voice what the sex is. My females were definitely louder and the boys make more of a raspy, whisper noise. My guess is the one in the bottom of the picture is a male due to the yellow/green of the bill.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My girls started honking instead of peeping by four weeks of age. Drakes make a whispery, muttering noise, and girl ducks make a quack or wak or for my runners, an "ah AH ah ah" sound, not super loud, but not quiet.

Someone once said, "pick one up. If it makes a bunch of noise, it's a girl."

6. Obyli

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    LOL, i pick all of them up and they all make noise. The buff one make kinda Quake but beep at the same time. I dunno what to say. My smaller whitdish blue swedish make quake noise which i think that she is a she for sure. The other two i dunno.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by