1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What gender are these two?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lollimama, Nov 9, 2011.

1. lollimama

lollimama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    My parents have four chickens adopted from a neighbor. They all seem about the same size but there are two that seem slightly different from the others. The light buff one is the mom of the three others. I'll also post a pic of the dad. I believe the mom is a buff orpington, not sure what the dad is though. These were all hatched in mid-July (which makes them about 22 weeks) - it's somewhat a guess since they were just found under a bush one day:p What do you think - girls or boys?

Here's the first one who seems to take after it's dad:

[​IMG]

Here's the second one in question:

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of all four of them (the light buff one on the right is the mom):

[​IMG]

And finally here is the dad:

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    look like roos

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The father is a Black SL rooster, and from the resulting chicks, I would agree that the mother was an Orpington. The chicks will not be SL, so the coloring will not be a determining factor.

I do see some pointed feathers on the bird in the first picture, so at least one of the white ones is a roo. Can you post closer pictures of the others?

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Looks like roosters!

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    The white one is a rooster he's cool looking [​IMG] the buff one looks like a hen to me. On second thought it still could be a roo based on the longish looking tail feathers. I'm just not sure? Another pic would be nice

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:X2

7. lollimama

lollimama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    In this case, do you think all but the mom are roosters? Here's another picture of them, the mom is the one on the left........

[​IMG]

8. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    if they're about 22 weeks they would be at least 5 months old which has me thinking they are girls, they don't look very manly.

9. LadiesMan017

LadiesMan017 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    The two orange ones are definatley hens, but for the white one, just check if it has spurs!

10. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:hens can have spurs as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by