What gender are these & why no tail. Australian standard Araucana

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cwrite, Nov 4, 2014.

1. cwrite

cwrite Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    [​IMG]
    This one has always been my favourite, but I am concerned about the size of her huge legs. They are both 4 weeks old. She is the biggest chick, shy and gentle. She is also the only one that hasn't grown a tail.

[​IMG]
    This chick was tagged at 2 weeks for being extremely aggressive on their first day out on grass. His comb looks a little pink already, he's displaying a lot of male behaviour and is very adventurous, but hasn't grown as big legs as the top one. His tail is also typical of all my other chicks.

As they are 4 weeks old which may be a bit young, but I'm dying to know what gender they are so I can see how my guessing is going with the other 9. Also, does anyone know what the lack of tail at this age indicates?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    The first one looks to be getting a little bit of a tail in. Not all chicks get them at the same time. Good luck with them.

3. cwrite

Mar 12, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    Thanks. I've heard that slow growing tail/feathering out can be a sign of being male, but that only applies to breeds that have that particular gene & wasn't sure if these did.
    I'm pretty sure they are both boys.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards male on the first bird, just because of the slow feather growth. It's too young to be sure, however.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is too young to tell gender, though I'm thinking cockerel on the slow feathering bird.

6. cwrite

Mar 12, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    Thanks for the feedback. Back to waiting.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by