What gender are these?

Cheryl

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 2, 2007
Milford, New Hampshire
Got 5 pullets from my pet chicken and having some serious doubts, will be 5 weeks on tuesday.. There are duplicates, but it is pretty hard to get them to sit for a photo moment!
chickensetc050.jpg

chickensetc008.jpg

chickensetc042.jpg

chickensetc034.jpg

chickensetc020.jpg

chickensetc013.jpg

chickensetc021.jpg

Looks like part of their bodies got cut off! Sorry... Two rhode island reds, both have combs on top, pale in color, but one has a more pronounced tail. Three wyandottes, two have flat heads with one point and the other has a comb... Do I need better pictures? thank you!

Sorry, I can't help but I am watching your post with anticipation. I have a SLW also from MPC about a week younger than yours whose comb is also showing that "pinky" tint. She(hopefully) has me a bit worried.

In general, Wyandotte pullets do not get pink in their combs for at least a couple of months. Cheryl, I see you have a single-combed Wyandotte there. Me, too. They pop up from time to time because of what went into their make up way back when.
I'm sort of wondering about that RIR, though. Seems like it has slightly thick legs for a pullet, but maybe its just the camera angle.

Speck--So are we thinking that the SLWs above are boys? 'Cause my combs, although rose, are about the same shade of pink. PS My husband and I are both from GA. Raised in Thomasville (way south) but we spent several years in Athens and my hubby did his internship at Tallulah Falls State Park. A beautiful area!

It's hard to say from the pictures. I find that sometimes the light quality will make the comb seem pinker than it really is in a photo. I just know that this breed, of which I own three, dont get pinky combs and wattles for about two months or more.
My DH's family, or part of it, is from S. Ga. We lived not far from Athens before we moved up here to the mountains and aren't very far from Talullah Gorge now. I like the mountains best of all. I grew up mostly around metro Atlanta.

Thanks Speck you've been so helpful, both on this post and others where I have read your replies. I don't know what I would do without this site. I confess have been mildly obsessed with the sex of this particular chicken. I tried the laid-back "wait and see" thing but am anxious about the semi-close neighbors hating me (and my ever-growing menagerie).

So it is possible for a female wyandotte to have a comb and others sometimes not? I'll tell you, the silver with the combe is the friendliest and will sit in my hand and let me pet "it"! So there is hope! Right now the rir's are a bit smaller than the wyandottes...

Back
Top Bottom