What gender are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Neilette, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    After oo'ing and aa'ing over this CUTE blue Sultan-esque "Silkie mix" that I found and immediately scooped up!, I realized today that I had rushed in choosing the other two birds... And they might not be girls! I'm no expert! What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA: They're about 12 weeks old.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    1 = roo

2=pullet (maybe)

3 = pullet

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They do look like girls, but I wish the pics were just a little bigger......They're EEs?

4. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Quote:You can click on them and I think #1 is a roo and 2 and 3 are pullets [​IMG]

5. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    If both EE's are the same age, then you might have 1 boy, 1 girl. If the reddish one is older then I say girl. The saddle feathers are not pointy on either and there isn't a ton of comb development.

6. Neilette

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Quote:They're from the same hatch. I bought them as purebred Ameraucanas from the woman who bred them, but who really knows sometimes. I was kinda suspicious of the red one... Dang. And here I was hoping to add a little more color into my flock. [​IMG]

Yay for the blue pullet! [​IMG]

The white-ish chook is, according to the lady, a "splash"? I can't help thinking it isn't. I mean, that's not going to throw blue. Right?

7. Neilette

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    How sure is it that #1 is a roo? If it's a sure thing, then "he's" on the market tomorrow. [​IMG]

8. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

#1 is a cockerel, #2 is a pullet. #3, I am clueless, but so far it looks like a pullet if I had to guess based on hackle feathers. The comb in #1 is already getting pink and fleshy, that's the give away that it's a cockerel.

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    And they are not purebred Ameraucanas. She probably bought "Ameraucanas" from the feed store which = EEs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by