What Gender are these?

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
So I purchased these chicks about 7 weeks ago...

68634_dsc_0053.jpg

68634_dsc_0055.jpg

68634_dsc_0056.jpg

I have posted before, so these are updated pictures to see if anyone can help me determine the sex of these. I chose these from the
pullet pen, the Australorps I do believe are pullets, the Barred Rocks, not sure anymore....so can anyone help me?
3 of the Barred Rocks have black sex link...notice 3 of them have black bands on their beaks and their legs have a bit of black in them also. One has a pure yellow beak.

I have been told by several people they ARE pullets...I was told pullets tails grow faster than the roos in the beginning.....

Help!

I'm voting 7 roos, two pullets.
hmm.png

Two BA's with no red comb/no wattle development should be pullets.
ALL others look to be roos.

I'm not sure what you're saying about the 'black sex link' in the BR's. Are they a cross with BLS?
BR pullets will have a lot of dark grey down their legs... a lot, sometimes making them almost entirely black instead of yellow. To my knowledge, beak striping doesn't have anything to do with...anything on them. They can have yellow beaks or yellow beaks with black...
Cockerels will also be lighter in color than pullets... as if they have 'double' white lines to black, pullets will be much darker in color.

IMO, every one of your BR's are cockerels. All but two of your BA's are cockerels.

I have nearly 6 month old BR and BA pullets that aren't that red in the face, nor do they have hardly ANY wattle development. (well, a few are getting there... getting closer to laying)

How old are they now? You purchased them about 7 weeks ago... so I'm going to guess they are 7-8 weeks old??
hu.gif

I would say 7 roo's and 2 pullets.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
** someone else on this site told me that they were BSL...their legs are supposed to be pure yellow, and mine are not, only on the one with the pure yellow beak. I can only go by what I am told. I would be tremendously disappointed if almost all nine are roos...someone will hear about it! LOL

Thanks for the opinions, time will tell I guess!

I have to agree - all the Barreds are roos, and only two of the Australorps are pullets (the two with no wattles). Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom