What gender/breed are my fuzzballs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by raymondjames, Oct 12, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Hi BYC! I just hatched my first 2 chicks [​IMG] and was wondering if at this time in life (a few days) if they can be sexed and breed identified.

Here is a Rhode Island X Something. I don't really see any Rhode island features here... humph... well i know its a cross and is it Male/Female and what is the other breed its the black one btw

[​IMG]
    2011-10-12_18-50-55_433 by hipstertrickster, on Flickr

Here is the same, looks more like a RI here and has black spots like its father (the breed i dont know). Whats its gender?

[​IMG]
    2011-10-12_18-52-16_183 by hipstertrickster, on Flickr

2. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Congrats on your first hatched chickies! Very exciting. For the first hints of gender, you will need to wait at least a couple of weeks. As for breed - you're right, that doesn't look much a like a RIR chick at all. The black one is adorable ... with its black legs, I just don't have a good guess as to what breed it is.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along soon. Good luck with the babies! [​IMG]

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    The lighter one has feathered feet and the black one has a beard. Should be easier to tell breed (and sex) when they are older.

Where to eggs from your chickens or eggs you bought?

4. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    Eggs from my neighbors chickens [​IMG] There currently my fertilized supply until i put those Silver Lakenvelder eggs i ordered in the incubator [​IMG]

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Do you know what other breeds your neighbor has? Wild guesses? [​IMG]

At this age I think it's too early to tell male/female -- unless the rooster was the RIR and your neighbor had a hen of a breed that could produce a Black Sexlink. (If that's the case, then the first one would be a pullet.)

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the light one has feathers on its legs and they both are so cute cant really tell what they are at this age...try posting when they are 4 weeks and again at 6

7. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    Quote:No the hen was the RIR... the rooster is unknown and my neighbors don't even know what breed the rooster is...

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:No the hen was the RIR... the rooster is unknown and my neighbors don't even know what breed the rooster is...

If they don't know what breed the rooster is all the chicks are likely mixed breeds.

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop

If they don't know what breed the rooster is all the chicks are likely mixed breeds.

Yep, mixed breeds most likely. Post again when they're around 5-6 weeks for gender. [​IMG]

10. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    im pretty sure black one (named Egg) is pullet and blonde one (named Snippy) is cockerel. used feather sexing method. Also i found out they are Silver Leghorn Bantam X RiR. yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by