What gender/ breed are these two?

Smoda

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2015
Previously posted about the breed of Saturn. Now that her feathers are coming in she/he looks very different from a few weeks ago.

Seller told me Saturn was silver laced wyandotte (clearly not).

Was told Persnicketts is a gold laced wyandotte.

Anyone familiar with their feather colour?

They are 5 weeks old. Might be too early for pullet/cockerel signs, but what are your thoughts?

These two chickens chest bump each other a lot, where as my third one doesn't engage in such activities.

Any feedback is much appreciated, I'm dying to know what breed/ gender!!

1f413.png
1f414.png

I'm new to chickens, but my guess is you have 2 mixed breeds. Persnicketts' legs look very thick and may just be a cockerel. Chest bumping is not a good indicator of sex, pullets will also chest bump to establish their place in the pecking order.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, Persnicketts' legs are thickest of all my three. I also see a band of feathers around her neck. I'm new to chickens too and am still learning what means what.

I second Grub Digger's opinion on Persnicketts looking like a cockerel. Not only are his legs thicker, but his/her stance seems more upright. He looks almost identical to what one of my Easter Eggers looked like as a baby. She grew to be mostly black and white. So, mixed breed would be an accurate observation as well. Another reason why I agree, is the feathers growing in are much more detailed, "fancier" looking. Both of my roos (one was also a EE) grew in feathers that were much more detailed, shiny, and variated than my pullets. I hope you are able to lock down the breed. Even if you don't you'll love them just the same! As they feather, a tell tale sign for most, females' hackle & saddle feathers will be spoon shaped on the ends and males will be more pointy. Also, My roos feathered out slower than the ladies did. Both look like EEs to me but I am no expert. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Katiedarling. Good tip on the feather shapes! Currently Persnicketts is the only one with hackel feathers come through. The others haven't developed theirs yet. I'll have to look at them when they develop a little more. I dint know much about EE but they look like a nice breed.
1f642.png

Thanks Katiedarling. Good tip on the feather shapes! Currently Persnicketts is the only one with hackel feathers come through. The others haven't developed theirs yet. I'll have to look at them when they develop a little more. I dint know much about EE but they look like a nice breed.
1f642.png
Persnicketts is definitely a Wyandotte mix.
Male specific hackle and saddle feathers don't begin to develop until about 10 weeks old, and it can take several more weeks for them to be clearly visible. Both males and females will feather in with broad, rounded feathers at first.
Can't see Saturn's comb properly, so I can't really guess on breed.

Back
Top Bottom