1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What gender do u think my silkies are?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenniebean123, Aug 11, 2013.

1. jenniebean123

jenniebean123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    They are about 7 weeks got them at the same time wondering what gender they are[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Too young to say for silkies.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ditto, not only are they very young, but your far away pic doesn't help much either. Silkies are one of, if not the most difficult breeds to sex. Give them a few months and then get some good close ups of their combs/faces and a full body shot of them from the side. Then we might be able to at least guess ;)

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    The waiting game really stinks but it's the only way to know for sure! Good luck and welcome to the site!

5. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    How old are they when the male silky crows?

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think it depends on the quality of the birds and the line they came from, but my Silkie boy didn't let a crow fly until he was almost 8 month old...

7. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    OK thats pretty good - how often and how loud does he crow? I'm trying to find the most appropriate cockerel that I could keep without annoying the neighbours too much.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    He crows once or twice in the morning and maybe a few times throughout the day. He's an only rooster tho. When I've had more they would compete with each other. He makes a screeching noise when he thinks there's danger however (which is ALOT) and its much louder than his crow!

9. jenniebean123

jenniebean123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    One of my silkies keeps flapping its wings around and streching its neck out and opening its mouth likes its gonna crow but nothing happens the other one has never done any of those things lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by