1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What gender for these three chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lisa25, Nov 25, 2013.

1. lisa25

lisa25 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    Victoria, Australia
    I asked about these guys a few weeks ago, any easier to tell now? The two bigger ones are 8 weeks old and the smaller one is 5 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hanna8

Hanna8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    1 and 3 look like pullets and I'm not sure on 2.

3. 3ChickensNADuck

3ChickensNADuck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    They look like dinner time ;p

4. aaaww they are so cute! It would help to know their breed. The 1st one looks like a female.

5. lisa25

Sep 20, 2012
    Victoria, Australia
    Number 1 & 3 are ameraucana, although down here in Australia we don't seem to bother with true distinctions yet and just call them all araucana, which I know they aren't, maybe we need to call them 'aussicanas' hahaha. I have 2 ameraucana roosters, one white and one black and brown and 2 blue ameraucana hens. Number 2 I think is a wyndotte crossed with the black and brown ameraucana rooster. They are so cute and friendly, I've never had chicks so friendly!

6. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    It's a little hard to tell 100% but the looks of the pictures say they are EEs to me. Solid color EEs are typically more challenging to sex because you can't color sex them as they get older. This one looks to be a pullet so far, as long as the comb stays small like that, I would say pullet.
    The second one is a boy. The color and pattern give it away. If you look at the pattern you can see that it's blotchy and patchy looking. The legs also look pretty thick.
    The third is most likely a girl. It is hard to tell at such a young age, but that's a common color pattern for female EEs.
    Also they are not Ameracauna. Ameracaunas only come in 8 specific colors and if they don't conform exactly, they are considered EEs. The white one is an acceptable color but the legs are the wrong color. Ameracuanas must have slate legs.
    Even though they are not Ameracaunas, there is nothing wrong with EEs! :) I have quite a few and they are my favorite, after ameracuans. They come in any color imaginable and can lay just about any color egg, though they usually lay green. I say EEs mainly because of the face and body shape. I can't see the comb though so I could be wrong. EEs have peacombs.
    Here's some of my EEs.
    [​IMG]
    Telulah, I hatched her in September
    [​IMG]
    Omega, she lays a green egg with brown spots!
    [​IMG]
    Some of my Easter egger chicks from last summer (yes I know the one looks like a barred rock, but he was a barred Easter egger project I was working on :) )
    [​IMG]
    Kimchi and mari, two more of my Easter egger hens

Okay I will stop hijacking your thread ;) :) hehe

7. lisa25

Sep 20, 2012
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks guys, I'm not fussed about what breed they are, just hope I don't get any more roosters!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    One looks female. Two looks male. Three.....I'm just not sure. Those are some suspicious red patches coming through......

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by