What gender for this mixed chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LilChickens2, May 6, 2016.

1. LilChickens2

LilChickens2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA
    this one is out of my Silver Laced Polish but I don't know the hen; possibly my Dominique? Anyway, he/she is about 10 weeks old. The comb looks a little red to me for so young but the posture is compact. Any guesses? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Cockerel but let others give their opinion

3. westout hoa

westout hoa Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    Rooster

4. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Cockerel, I believe

5. LilChickens2

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA
    Thanks folks! Geeze, I have a lot of cockerels in that coop :/

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Just a quick terminology lesson....the phrase "out of" refers to the female parent. The term "by" is the male parent. So you would say this chick is by your Polish out of your Dominique [​IMG]

And knowing that, this chick is definitely male. It was sexable at hatch, with that cross. A non-white, non-barred rooster over a barred hen (your Dominique) will have non-barred female offspring and barred male offspring. Since this chick is barred, it's male. Black sex link genetics at their finest!

7. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I'd say cockerel.

8. LilChickens2

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA
    Thanks for the terminology info. I didn't realize it was so technical.
    I wish I was more up on genetics. I was guessing the hen was my Dominique but is it possible one of my other non-barred produced this one? He wasn't barred when he hatched (he was black all over, no spots on head). Other than the Dominique, I have a buff orp, black jersey giant, RIR, golden comet, Italian leghorn and a white Cochin hen. Those are the possible female parents. Thanks for the input so far!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    From those choices, it pretty much had to be the Dominique hen. Barring is a gene that doesn't hide, if the bird carries the barring gene you can clearly see it. So none of your other birds would have been able to produce a barred chick.

Now, just to confuse thing further [​IMG] the exception to the above rule is some white birds. White Rocks are especially known for this. There are two kinds of white, recessive and dominant (and white is different than silver, but that's a whole nother thing....). Dominant white basically "turns off" the black on the bird, changing it to white. So you could have a dominant white hen who is genetically barred, but you can't really see it....does that make sense at all? Cochins don't usually have dominant white, and you can tell this chick didn't have a Cochin momma cause he has no feathers on his legs (feathered legs are partially dominant). The only other suspect could be your Leghorn, if she's white. They're often dominant white and when you cross breed them you can get a bunch of wild card things that were hiding under that white gene.

10. LilChickens2

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA
    Thank you for the information. My leghorn is brown so she's not the mom. It is definitely the Dominique then. What would the females look like at hatch with that mix? Is there anything identifiable I should be looking for with males hatched from this mix? How did you learn about chicken genetics? I use the German genetics calculator sometimes but it gets confusing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by