What gender is my 3 month silkie chick??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenCrazy848, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ChickenCrazy848

ChickenCrazy848 New Egg

Jul 26, 2016
    Hi!
    This is new pictures of my silkie chick! She/he is now 3 months old :D

I think Snowball ( the silkie chick!!) is a female but I'm not sure?? Anyone know what gender snowball is??

Also when do silkie hens usually start laying eggs??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Theuglyducky

Theuglyducky New Egg

Aug 23, 2016
    This is a male no doubt you can tell because of its upright position. And most chickens start laying at around 15 weeks.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    3 months is still kinda young to accurately sex Silkies. 5 months is more likely to be more accurate. That being said, non-bearded Silkies are a little easier but I'd still wait. The pictures are a little far away and there is a fuzzy glare either from the sun and/or humidity making the picture hard to make out "for my eyes anyhow".

4. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Silkies can take forever to start laying. Anywhere from 6 months to a year (so I've read)! We just got 4 silkie chicks that our broody bantam is bringing up. They are so adorable.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You need better pictures, looks like you are shooting into the sun. 3 mos. is nothing in the life of a silkie. 4-5 mos. you can sometimes sex them with authority. Sometimes NOT till they crow or lay eggs. In any case I like to see head on photos with crest pulled back to show comb. I think you would do better with a photo in the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by