What gender is my barnyard mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WKYChick, May 13, 2011.

1. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    I got her out of the pullet bin at our trade day but then this morning my she looks like a he, I am still new to all this, s/he is a mix but we do know her/his papa is a RIR

Lady Long Legs RIR mix and yes she has got big feet [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She wouldn't be still long enough for me to get a good clear head shot, I hope this are ok to help i.d. if she is a she
    Thank you all for your help!

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    That is a rooster! maybe crossed with a red broiler?

3. Momto3

Momto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    I am new to chickens but with as red as its face is & those HUGE legs/feet. I am going to guess she isnt a she, but a ROO.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, big foot is most certainly a rooster.

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    really thick legs = roo sorry [​IMG]

6. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
    Those arent feet, those are skis...

Roo definitely... and he's gonna be a BIGGUN at that!

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  7. WKYChick

May 10, 2011
    I told DH, I am a roo magnet, he let me pick the one I wanted out of the pullet bin and this morning I was staring at 'her' thinking I did it again I pulled a roo out of the batch! but I wanted to make sure. the lady didn't know which hen was her mama and she doesn't know what hens she has, she just has a yard full of mixed chickens. At least he will be tasty on the table when he is full grown, well the sheriff who lived by us and still has his house there told me that having a rooster is no problem what so ever, we live out in the county, maybe I should go door to door and see if a crowing roo would bother them.

I want to call him Mr. Bigfoot [​IMG] or Daddy Long Legs!

Thank you guys for your quick responses! You are the best!

8. egg_tastic

egg_tastic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    NC Foothills
    Those are the biggest feet I have ever seen. Comical [​IMG] The one where he is walking [​IMG]

9. WKYChick

May 10, 2011
    egg_tastic: it is so funny watching him around the yard, he struts his stuff and sticks his legs out so proudly, I have never seen such long legs!

alabamachick: that is perfect, maybe I should call him SKI-ter, sometimes it looks like he is on stilts

chickened: wish I knew the hen, I looked at a picture of a red broiler and I remember some the other pullets looked like the pictures I viewed, so he could be cross between an RIR and red broiler

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by