What gender is my Black Australorp mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by new_to_the_coop, Nov 2, 2010.

1. new_to_the_coop

new_to_the_coop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I have two chicks that are about 6.5 weeks old. I have no idea if they are hens or roos; I got them from a local farm as newborn chicks. I have no experience with chickens, so I have no idea what to look for. I am posting 4 pics of my one Black Australorp mix for you to take a look at. I tried to get a few good shots, based on what I think you need to see! My heart wants it to be a pullet, but honestly, I have NO idea!!! "She" is a very calm and happy bird. Thanks everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I'm leaning toward roo on this one. Awful big comb and wattles already for its age.

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Roo

4. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    BA`s are such lovely calm birds....I think you have a roo...lots of comb development for 6.5 weeks.

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Comb is awful big and wattles so prominent, at six and a half weeks I say roo.

6. new_to_the_coop

new_to_the_coop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    When do other characterisitcs start to show? Such as the pointed neck feathers and saddle feathers? None of that is showing yet, right? I am still on the fence, only because I have seen larger combs and waddles on young BA chicks before (although, I am a complete novice). I guess I'll give it another 2 weeks and see what the little one looks like then. I may take "her" for a ride out to the farm I got her from , to see what some of the other birds look like. It is hard to compare her to my other bird, sice they are total mutts. My other bird is a pale yellow and the coloring totally throws off the comparison factor.

If he's a roo he has to go back to the farm. No roos allowed in my area. [​IMG] Which makes me very sad, because "she" is so happy and friendly. Loves to fly up and roost on my head! Thanks everyone for your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by