What gender is my black sex link chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickwithchick, Feb 23, 2015.

1. chickwithchick

chickwithchick New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    I went to get some black sex link chicks and they were supposed to be pullets. However, when I came home I saw that one had a stripe on its head. I have always read that the males are supposed to have a dot but I guess there can be variations right? Is there a chance that it could still be a pullet even though the head isn't completely black? [​IMG]

This is my first experience owning chickens so I would be thankful for any input in the matter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Hmmmm....that is a bit odd. A female BSL chick should be all black.

Good news, that is not a clear head spot, so don't leap to male yet....but it could be sign of barring that could indicate male.

If you are concerned, take it back and exchange it for an all black chick from the BSL bin.

Chances are it is a girl, but that could be a poorly marked male.

My thoughts.

Lady of McCamley

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with Lady of McCamley that your chick has an odd spot on top of the head. It doesn't really look like the white spot that male Black Sex Link chicks normally have, so I'm going to say it's a female BSL at this point, but if it starts developing barring at some point, it is a male. I hope for your sake that I'm right and it's a female. If so, she will likely be an egg laying machine. :eek:)

1 person likes this.
  4. chickwithchick

chickwithchick New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    I will call the store tomorrow to see what they have to say. I am desperately trying to find any posts where they had a chick like mine to see what it turned out to be.

5. chickwithchick

chickwithchick New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    I just called the store and they stated that it although it has a stripe it should be a female since they are all sexed before shipped to them. I guess that only time will tell for sure.

6. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    yes they were sexed and the whole point to the sex link varieties is to make sexing possible by color only. I feel quite sure that is a female, the males should show much more white than that. they are less likely to make mistakes in the sex link than other varieties, but mistakes still happen. I am not sure they don't intentionally make it happen. They will say 95% so why not sell 5% roos at the pullet price

1 person likes this.
  7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

I do hope it turns out to be a girl for you...and it most probably is...

Yes, the point of sex linking is to have the chicks color coded for easy sexing. I doubt anyone at the hatchery also checked the BSL chicks for sex by looking carefully for the male bump in the vent area as that takes time and a lot of care and training...and they have the color to avoid that cost...so they went on the color...quickly as they sorted trays.

Your little chick looks mostly black like a girl...but sometimes the genetics of a parent (in this case the mother) do not carry a strong barring gene (perhaps mom has other factors that inhibited the barring) so that the barring doesn't show through as it should. Rhodebars are an example of that which is why poorly marked chicks are removed and those that do not breed forward are removed from the breeding line.

Hatcheries produce by volume so poor standards can creep in. Also "oops" have crept in. You don't know until the hatched products arrive and then you rely on your warehouse quality control.

So chances are it is a girl...but be prepared it could indicate a poorly marked male as any white on the head could indicate some barring to come which should indicate male by the genetics of the barred mother whose genes determine sex and therefore the barring follows the boys to produced barred boys.

Post pics later as I'm curious as to what this chick will be...oddly marked girl...or boy.

Lady of McCamley

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah definitely a double-take chick. Agree the spot is not normal and in a different place, very interesting. You will know before long within next week or two by looking at the wing feathers as they grow. If they stay black, that is great but if you start to see white bar or a roughly shaped spot on each feather, that is a boy.

Also, I currently have a 'hmm what is that?' pattern on a chick- a cream chick with a red and sharply bordered area spot on side of head/face as if it were a birth mark.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. chickwithchick

chickwithchick New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    Okay, I'll keep a watchful eye out and will post pictures next week then to see if there are any changes :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by