1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Gender is my chicken?!? Plez Help!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Raynes_mom11, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Raynes_mom11

Raynes_mom11 New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    Gates
    One of my Rode Island Reds hatched out this chicken about 4 months ago. It has gotten huge sence then. The only rooster I have is a Barred Rock. So I guess that means this chicken is half RIR and half Barred Rock. I thought it was a rooster but I am not sure. Also all my other hens pick on it but, the rooster really doesn't.[​IMG]

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It's a rooster. You can see the hackle feathers getting long and pointed.

3. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    I would say most definately a rooster. By the neck feathers and the comb length and color for such young age.

4. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Rooster!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is a cockerel, because what you did was create sex-linked birds. (males are barred with slight red tingling in their feathers as shown, females are red and black)

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Rooster. It's not a sex-link because you used a Barred Rock roo on a Rhode Island Red hen. If you reversed the cross, and used a RIR roo on a BR hen, then you'd get sex-links. [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Didn't even see that part.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Rooster. I love barred rooster's hackle feathers, they always look kinda lacey to me [​IMG]

9. Raynes_mom11

Raynes_mom11 New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    Gates
    Thank you everyone! I did not intend to breed them one chicken just sat on some eggs before I got to collect them. Does anyone know why the hens pick on him and not my rooster? I thought my rooster would be mean to him if it was a rooster, but he is not the hens are.

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The rooster won't be mean to him until he sees him as a threat. When he is mature they will probably fight to determine who's boss. Hens just seem to be meaner to those chicks who are lower on the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by