What gender is my Easter Egger/Americauna chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Our girls, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Our girls

Our girls Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hi. The upper photo is of the girl (?) in question, the lower is of my two Easter Eggers/Ameraucanas together. I thought they were both pullets; bought them from the same breeder. The older is nearly 5.5 months (older by about 2 weeks) and has really grown a comb and wattles! Can pullets have combs & wattles? Is it possible she was just crossed with one that gives combs & wattles to females? I guess you can tell I'm really hoping she's a she; we can't have roos here. S/he is not aggressive, doesn't crow, or do anything that I think roos do. What do you think????

2. Our girls

Dec 4, 2012
    Wow! She sure does. So much for the Ameraucana thoughts... [​IMG] But, I'm happy if she's a pullet; I don't want to have to get rid of her. Thanks much for your reply!

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those are brown leghorns

4. Our girls

Dec 4, 2012
    I forgot to say that both of them have very light green ears. I have been told that the ear color determines the egg color (I guess you can see what a newbie I am). Is that a feature that you look at when you are determining breed?

5. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    yep Brown Leghorns and they both look like pullets, although a closer up photo would be helpful.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes I noticed the earlobes. How pretty that they are green- they look white in the photo! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  7. Our girls

Dec 4, 2012
    I tried to get a closer photo but these two are pretty shy, compared to the rest. The one in question is Houdini- for obvious reasons. She is amazingly agile and clever at finding ever teeny hole in the fence, or behind the hedge. I have a dozen pullets now; the rest let me close and I can pet or hold many of them. I guess we won't be having colorful eggs, but they are keepers.

8. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Brown Leghorns are usually flighty birds. Their earlobes should be white they do look white in the picture of them. They might have an iridescent green to them but they are white. If pullets they will lay white eggs.
    Here is the link Henderson's Chicken Breed egg chart. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html It's always fun to look at and read up on the different breeds and the eggs they will lay.

9. Our girls

Dec 4, 2012
    Thank you. That site is now bookmarked- what a great resource!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by