What gender is my isa brown "It"?

ponygirly306

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Just a note: this thread has been moved by me to this section of the forum, you can find the other thread in the everything else chicken section
---------------------------------------
Hi I'm ponygirly306,
i have 3 chickens [ more about them in my signature]
and as you can see i have labeled my isa brown as an 'it'.
I would really find it helpful and would appreciate it greatly if someone could post a picture of an isa brown for me, in a little while i will post a picture of my isa brown, who is more fondly known as "Ninja" for short or "Ginger Ninja" in full. i have lots of questions and i will post them in a while or so.
some things you should know

-i bought 'it' from the market and the guy said it was around a year old

-'it's' brown with a big comb and a white tail and i can see a lot of its legs and it sort of clucks but not like the hens do... it just goes 'brrrrrk'
some pictures:

sorry about the bad quality, it was hard to get ninja to stand still and i took the photos on my phone.

16191_image008.jpg

16191_image015.jpg

--------------------------------------
i am quite confused at the moment. cause i searched isa brown roosters on the internet and they all had nice white tails like ninja here and the hens seemed to have brown, shorter tails...

so my wyandotte has just started to lay, and she is broody, so i have left an egg under her (which i have marked so i know which egg to leave when i go out to collect the eggs each day) and i am going to leave it until friday (have left it under there since sunday) and then i will candle it to see if there is any little chickies

which, to me is a sure fire way to know if there is a rooster or a hen taking up residence in our coop!
-------------------------------------
thanks, much appreciated,
ponygirly306

That there is a hen! you should get nice brown eggs soon!

ISA brown typically have varying degrees of white. I've had some that were MOSTLY white and some there were almost all brown. They are basically mixes and those mixed genetics makes color a huge guessing game.

Isa brown being sexlinks, you can be sure that she is a she, males would be all white with a couple scattered brown feathers on the wings.

Red sexlinks tend to be red colour on white(meaning the down under the red feathers is white and so are some wing and tailfeathers).
Only production birds I have seen that are red on black are the production reds(which are some form of rhode Island red).

what you have is a roo, i have had isa browns and what you have is a roo, i had 4 of them 1 roo and 3 hens. the hens have a small comb and the roos is bigger. you cant go by the colors cause all 4 looked different. and of coarse the pics dont help. they lay brown eggs medium to large. and by the way he is a very pretty roo. my roo named little boy he was on the crazy side while the girls were little sweethearts. dont go by the way my roo was he was crazy lol. i hope this has helped you

Hen. As mentioned roos are white with a little brown. Even if a fluke in color, look at the waddles. Not big enough for a roo. Saddle feathers lay straight down the back and roos part to flow down the sides. Feathers appear to be rounded too. A roos would be pointed.

again you cant go by color, everyone of mine were different shades of brown and white. i know its your opinion and thats fine, but the ones i had look nothing like the pictures. you cant always go by books, i got mine at the hatchery where i live and there was a chart with cool color patterns and 2 of mine the roo and hen look like it but the other 2 didnt. so i stress again you cant always go by books

Back
Top Bottom