What Gender is my leghorn

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by phantomml, Aug 29, 2011.

1. phantomml

phantomml Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    Hi I have a new baby leghorn from my pullets I raised [​IMG] I heard you can tell age when they are newborns by their feathers- I couldn't get a real good picture, but to me by the feathers it has two distint rows, one longer than the other, and not tapered like I see the males pictures I see online here, but more rounded at the ends like the female and are definitely two lenghths. I am so excite- I would love to start guessing right!! I got 25 americana pullet chicks from TSC in the spring, and I didn't check, but of the 25 "Pullets" I ended up with 24 surviving and 8 pullets, and 16 roos, so rather than deal with the large scale of roosters I would rather give them away if I can start to tell better!! [​IMG]

Feather Sexing site http://www.hyline.com/redbook/Breeders/Gender_ID.html

My
    fist baby from my April Pullets!!
    [​IMG]

Her ? wings ?
    [​IMG]

2. phantomml

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    oh one more picture she is so cute!![​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Too early to tell.

4. phantomml

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    How soon can you tell with feather sexing?

5. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    It'll be a couple weeks at least until you can tell.
    Do you mean feather sexing where the baby chick's wing feathers grow out in different patterns during the first week? I saw that on youtube..I dont think it works. I know some people swear by it, but it's pretty sketchy.

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I can generally tell with leghorns but I need both sexes the same age as comparison. At about 3-5 days of age, the leghorn pullets have a tiny tail and the lil roos don't. If there is no comparison, you may have to wait til she lays or crows, which in leghorns, the crow comes early:)
    I have even started to sex our Orps when I have both sexes of the same age to compare. But I need the comparison:)

7. grandiose

grandiose Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    they'reHISchickens :

I can generally tell with leghorns but I need both sexes the same age as comparison. At about 3-5 days of age, the leghorn pullets have a tiny tail and the lil roos don't. If there is no comparison, you may have to wait til she lays or crows, which in leghorns, the crow comes early:)
    I have even started to sex our Orps when I have both sexes of the same age to compare. But I need the comparison:)

Oh yuck. If I go by that, the chicks that I suspect of being leghorns are all Roos. That would SUCK...​

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
  9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Wayyyyyy to soon. [​IMG]

10. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Too soon but what a doll [​IMG]